Thursday, April 8, 2004

The End of an Era

       The events of the last entry put us squarely into 1978.I had given my bike back to the guys,Steve had gone out west,and I had this new girlfriend,and a new job. Of all things,I was a security guard! Malls,concerts,banks,and libraries were my new hangouts. It was good money,and my girl was expecting a child.Only thing was,we weren't married.......hmmm.

       This problem was easily solved in January of '79,only one month before our daughter was born.Well,at least HER daughter. After the birth,I found out I was lied to in the worst way.You couldn't blame the kid,she didn't ask to be put in that situation.God knows,I knew all about things like that. The mother,however,I could blame,and frequently did.None of this was gonna turn out good. I figured God wasn't finished "messin'" with me yet.

      We stayed married for about two years.She would cheat on me,and I would do the same to her.Jobs got scarce,so I joined the Army.December of  '81,I left home for South Carolina.I saw the same look in her eyes that I saw in Steve's eyes just three years before. I knew I would never see her again;I was right.I got into the Army reserves,and came back to Mississippi,to fight the divorce. She went back to Michigan to get her divorce.It worked.

       Michigan is one of those states where the woman can be having sex on the judge's bench,drunk,and selling drugs in the court-room,and STILL get awarded everything,even the children from a marriage! It sucks.Oh,yeah,God wasn't finished "messing" with me yet."Suck it up,this s&*t happens";my uncle's words were ringing in my ears."Be a man,and walk tall",was his other favorite advice. The divorce was quick,and bloody;for me anyway. Things were about to turn around for me,I just didn't know it. God was about to pitch me a good one----one that I could hit out of the park. And,yes,it was another girl that he would put in my path.You think I would learn.........more later.

No comments: