Friday, April 9, 2004

Back In Time(again!)

        Just to go back for a little while,I would like to relate a story to you. This is a quick little thing,but I think it demonstrates just how determined I could be at times.

         I was about 17,and caught out late at night, I was coming back from a bar,and was walking,my bike was at home,and I was alone.I knew I would leave this bar drunk,so I elected to walk,it was only a few blocks from my apartment,anyway,and the weather was nice this night.OK,enough set-up. So,I leave the bar,and am stopped by four young men from one of the local gangs. These guys were my age,my size,and had the same hungry look in their eyes that I had. I knew what was going to happen;but I also knew that I had some control over how it would happen.

           I was told to produce my wallet.I paused at this,and asked the young man that was doing the talking if he had enough people to see this action through? He asked me if I was crazy.To this,I said that I thought that I was quite sane,and if he wanted my money,he would have to work for it.I would not simply "give it up",to do so might have cost me more than just my wallet. This wasn't personal,this was business to them,and to me. I didn't hate them,they were just trying to survive. I just didn't agree with their methods.They picked the wrong person that night........

             I drew first blood,since there were four of them it was sort of an un-written rule that I went first.The "leader" struck back,and things went from bad to worse. Did I win? C'mon,you kiddin' me? Weren't you paying attention? There were four of them! What I did win was a small measure of respect.A few days later,I met them again. I didn't run,I stood my ground. The one who asked for my wallet from before,looked at me,then nodded,and they went on.Would the guys in the motorcycle gang have taken care of them? Yes,they were dying to! I wouldn't let them...I always fought my own fights,and still do.

No comments: