Wednesday, February 8, 2006

"When Doves Fly"

We have all heard from Prince,

and about how his doves cried.

But this is a story about MY Dove,

And her need to fly!

 

So, one day, my Dove came to me,

I knew it would happen eventually.

The kids were nearly grown,

The house quiet, the yard freshly mown.

 

My Dove said to me;

"I need to try my wings,

I want to get out, to see and do things".

My heart was broken, I wanted to cry

But I knew, I had to let my Dove fly.

 

So, in time, my Dove was flyin',

This time for me was very tryin'.

I told myself that she would be back,

My trust in her I never lacked!

 

Things were great, for a time,

I was so proud of that little Dove of mine!

There she stood, tall and proud,

Little did I know that time was running out...

 

Now, some will say that this was my on doin'

I let her fly from the nest, and brought about my own ruin.

But listen, and don't get me wrong,

I had to let her go, to sing her own song.

 

I have never "owned" my little Dove,

Even though she was my whole life, and my only love.

I just knew that our love was strong,

But to my surprise, I was wrong.

 

There are people in the world who don't give a damn,

For the love shared between a woman and a man.

You can be strong, and stand your ground,

But these sneaky Bastards still come sniffin' around!

 

They come when no one is looking,

and before too long, it's YOUR kitchen where they are cookin'!

They whisper in the ears of a true little Dove

To convince her it is they that she should love.

 

They are here, and then gone,

Leaving only broken families and destruction in their wake,

It is YOUR LIFE that they want to move in on.

If you let them they will, they are good fakes!

 

"Sorry little Bastards", says this old 'coot',

So damn slimy, you wouldn't even scrape them off of your boot!

They creep, silently, like a thief in the night,

If I catch this one, I will do him up right!

 

And my little Dove?

Well, she's just fine;

After all, she's not his---

SHE IS MINE!!!

 

                               Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

P.S. If you steal my work, I will find you!

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem!  Boy, I only wish that I had a touch of your talent to write like that.

Take care,
Mary
(casper)