Monday, May 1, 2006

What Would You Ask For?

         So, there we were, my friend and I a few days ago. We were just drinking a few beers, and talking about stuff in general. The conversation turned to a strange topic. My friend asked me, "if you only had about two minutes to live, what would you ask for?". I asked what he meant...like would I ask for a second chance at life, or forgiveness for my bad deeds; that kind of thing?  "Yes", he replied, "exactly".

 

          What would I ask for? I would ask to be just like my neighbor across the street. An old man, not very large, I would say just over five feet tall, and maybe 150 pounds, if that. He has two sons, a wife, and a small grand-daughter named Hailey...she plays with my daughter. I have known this man for many years, and I used to work with both of his sons. This man, and his family are completely un-remarkable in every way----except one.

 

             This man has known for almost two years that he has inoperable cancer. He was just told a few weeks ago that he will be lucky to make it through the summer. Chemo Therapy will not extend his time, he is done, finished, through. So, he still smokes, and he decided that since he is going to die anyway, he would at least keep his dignity. No Chemo Therapy, no hospitals, no bull.

 

              I see him everyday, outside his home in his little motorized chair,(he can no longer walk on his own), and he stays outside ALL DAY. Hot, cold, it doesn't matter. He sees the outside everyday. No crying, no questioning "why me"?, none of that stuff for him. He simply greets people who come to see him, and they stay for a bit and talk. Never have I heard him complain about his situation. My youngest girl loves to go over there to see him, and to play with his cats.

 

           So, what would I ask for? I may have lived my life badly, but I would ask that I die well...just like my neighbor.

 

                        Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story.........