Friday, July 14, 2006

Red Lights....and Neighbors

    Ok, when I was just a small pup, we lived in Memphis, Tennessee. I remember when Martin Luther King was shot at the Loraine Motel, and the riots that ensued. Fair enough to say that I feel differently about the man than most. Anyhow, I also remember the lady who moved into the house behind ours.

 

          She imeadiatly painted the entire two-story structure PINK. That's right, folks, pink. I must have been about eight years old, and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen!!!! Little did I know that I would get my "education" from that house. And what an education it was!!!

 

               Ok, so my mom explains that "those women are prostitutes". I definitely knew that word, and I also knew that I would be over there the first chance I got! At the tender age of only eight, I knew I couldn't do any damage there, but maybe, just maybe, I could leave my mark!!! Shit, I had to get over there!!!

 

             Now, fortunately for me, we had a lawn mower...and I made quite a bit of money with it. This was my ticket inside at that "house of ill repute". I spoke to the lady that ran the house, the one who bought it to begin with. I offered my services, for a nominal fee, of course. She agreed with my price...I was in like Flynn!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go there and ogle the girls all I wanted after cutting the grass the first few times!!!

 

             Everything in my stepdad's books under the bed was true!!!! The women who 'worked' there looked like some of those in the books! I was as close to heaven as I would ever get!!! I remember that I used to mow for a while, then go to the outside faucet to wet my shirt down the front, and some on the back. I would then go to the back door for some lemonade,(which they always seemed to have), and was treated to cookies, and some air conditioned coolness with the "ladies" on the couch in the front room!!!

 

                  Don't feel bad for me, I knew EXACTLY what I was doing, and I loved it!! All of the girl's names have fled into obscurity...except for the "Madame's" name---Ruby. She was a 'robust' woman, and fun to be around, not like my mom at all. I truly felt love for this woman. Not a "horny" love, but a "mom love" for her. She was just too cool!!!

 

                     Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: