Wednesday, July 5, 2006

More Flashbacks---Dealing with Jerks at Work

  I was just 18. Young, proud, and willing to put in a good day's work for a good day's pay. I had always worked my entire life. Whether on the farm, or at the horse stables, or in the little country store that I was hired to. I have worked for other people since I was eight years old. I learned the value of a dollar young, as we grew up mostly "country", and that meant poor.

 

        Ok, so I was 18, and my Uncle got me a job at a popular Ford Car Dealership. I was in Heaven! I was a Ford freak to begin with, and had already worked at gas stations!! I was beside myself! I started out just parking cars and "runnin' parts" for the mechanics. Then one of the guys noticed me installing a stereo in my car. There was some talk to the owner, and I had my own "stall" installing car stereos! Cool, huh?

 

      There was this one mechanic, a real asshole. He would tell our boss that I had his truck(the boss's) out at the city park chasing girls in the daytime. Of course he was lying, but it tended to piss me off a lot! I was about 150 pounds at the time, this asshole was close to 300 pounds! I was in no mood to take an ass-whipping from this creep, but I knew he had one comin'.

 

     My Uncle told him to quit lying on me, but I told him to let it be, I was "working" on something. My Uncle was a very smart man, besides, he trained me in surviving the city, so he knew it would "get fixed" soon enough. Soon enough.

 

           You see, the man that owned the dealership was friends with another man who owned a large private security firm. These two friends loved to come to the dealership on Sunday and just sit and drink scotch whiskey, and simply bullshit each other. Sometimes I would be there catching up on some work(off the clock). My boss asked me for his friend if I wanted to change jobs, maybe make a good deal more money than he could pay me. I said of course!

 

         Oh, please, I haven't forgotten our little mechanic friend yet. This is where he gets "got". Seems the owner of the security firm had heard about my problem from a "little bird"(my boss). He said he would hire me if I proved that I was as tough as he thought I was. I would still have to go through their training program, of course. Of course. But, I am nothing if not 'game'!!!

 

          I told my current boss that I quit, and I was through there. He agreed that I was no longer an employee of his, and could leave. On my way to collect my tools, the 'asshole' saw what had happened(at least, what we wanted him to see), and said I was a pussy to let him run me off. A pussy, indeed! I picked up my tools, to the sound of his constant barrage of bullshit.  Have you ever seen a 1 1\8"  open-end wrench? It is large and heavy!!  Our mechanic friend got to "inspect" one up close that day---several times!!!

 

             Holla' If You Hear Me!!!!!

No comments: