Friday, June 30, 2006

Predjudice, and How it can Surprise You

  Well, well! When I was young, and got moved "up North" as I like to call it, I was glad to finally be out of the South....or so I thought. I had figured I would leave behind all of the old hatreds; whites hating blacks, blacks hating whites, and rednecks hating EVERYONE!!!  I grew up poor, so hatred was for rich people, they could afford to hate other persons of different ethnic backgrounds. I have no idea why this is so, but it seems so, anyway.

 

         So, there I was, new school, new people, and I was the "darling" of the day with my deeply southern accent! Oh, yes, I was the center of attention...the girls were falling all over themselves to talk to me. I guess it was the novelty of my "funny" way of talking. Don't worry, I knew the attention was only momentary. The 'new' would wear off soon enough! Still, I knew I could capitalize on their curiosity toward me.

 

          I picked out this one chick that was VERY interested in me. I had her phone number and address, and the knowledge that her parents were out of town for a week...interested indeed!!! I happened to tell one of the other boys about the phone number(the rest of the details remained for "my eyes only"). He acted shocked, and told me that the girl was 'jewish'. He said this like it was a bad thing. I was confused.

 

          I was further informed that I was a good Catholic boy, and jews were off limits, they were something less than human. What??? What was I hearing? I couldn't go out with a girl because of her religion? I asked my uncle, no mystery there, he told me to "go for it". My grandmother, on the other hand, was completely floored! I was forbidden to even speak to this girl. I was a 'special' child when I was born, according to her, because I was born in a convent. But, I didn't even like going to church!!!  Saying that, at that moment, cost me evening Mass and confession, and an early morning Mass.

 

        All of this crap because the girl's religion was different than mine! This was the NORTH, and people there hated for the same pathetic reasons that people HERE hated each other. There were people that used the "N" word constantly, and they even had "redneck bars". My Uncle used to point them out to me, and tell meto stay away from them. They even had Klan meetings in some of those bars!!! Nothing ever changes...as long as there are different people on the Earth, there will be hate. Even if we were all the same, but were allowed to dress as we wanted, the same shit would go on! C'est la vie!

 

        P.S.  Don't worry, the girl and I had a wonderful time, and God didn't kill either one of us! So, fuck the dummies who said we couldn't talk to each other!(or do anything else!!!)

 

                     Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: