Tuesday, August 30, 2005

We are Still Here

         As I  sit here today, I am glad to just be here. As you know, I live in Mississippi. Northeast Mississippi. I am eight hours from the coast where Katrina slammed into this state. It didn't matter, my distance from the coast. Last night, my wife and I huddled together as the winds screamed outside. We could hear trees breaking all around us...yes, we were a little scared.

               My wife's Uncle, and her nephew live in Biloxi, right on the coast. Telephone lines are "iffy" at this point. I can't believe that I am able to dial out to the 'net. I was awake untill after four am., when it finally settled down outside. This Hurricane was packing winds over 65 mph when it got to us! Tennessee is catching the brunt of it today, and the rest of the country in it's wake, from here to Maine, will surely feel it's fury in the next couple of days.

              A huricane that traversed the entire U. S., from Gulf Coast to East Coast? That is one mean storm! No wonder they give them female names(untill a few years ago!). Now, obviously, we still have power in my area. But, as of this writing, more than a million people are without power...I am extremely lucky. I hate tornadoes, and now I hate hurricanes! I never thought I would be involved in this one!

            My wife, as some of you know, works at a Salvation Army store. They have been swamped today. Even with my lack of sleep, I got up before she went to work this morning, I couldn't bear to see her go without saying goodbye. One never knows what will happen. So many people have lost their lives in this storm....those lives can never be replaced.

              I would rather lose property than a human life...any life is precious. That's right, I said it. I wish no one had died because of this, but they did, and I can't change that. I truly wish I could. It is kind of hard to say that "me and mine are just fine", knowing that so many lives were lost. But, I am thankful that me and mine are good to go. I hope that some of you help out as much as you can....I know that you will.

 

                   Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy,That Is so Sweet And I Also Say That It Is A Sad Moment For All The People Who Have Lost Their Lives To Katrina(The Hurricane).


                          "You Can't See Me!"
                                 "Word Life"

Anonymous said...

Well hello "Big Guy" it is I Mr. Death....and I am a "hoot".

John,please tell me that is a good thing...take care John...one day we will meet..and you have my word on it.