Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Freaks???

              So, there I was with my wife, my youngest girl, and one of her little friends, out for the day, and at a nice restaurant. Now, clearly, I certainly did not fit in with the usual Sunday crowd. This was just this past Sunday. This place gets mostly the "after church" crowd. These people always stare at me the most. Conservatives, what can I say??

                  So, the stage is set. The players are all here, let the play begin! We were already seated, and I need to make one thing perfectly clear; if you don't laugh while eating out with me, then I have been drugged, or gagged! I hate crowds of people, so I use humor to mask my nervousness. And I can be a funny SOB at times like that! The people who work at this dining establishment know us, we go every Sunday. They KNOW they can expect me to cut up some, I think they even encourage it, sometimes.

               So, we were doing just fine, when in comes a man and his wife, with three boys ranging from about six years old, to maybe eleven. They take a table right next to our reserved table,(that's how well the employees know us!). The mom looks completely strung out...a four Valuim a day habit showing on her face. The husband, completely in command, everyone listens to him...pure obedience. He is balding on top, so he wears a baseball cap to hide it....it does NOT go with his Sunday suit!

              It isn't too long before his attention is directed to our table. Seems there was entirely too much laughter coming from us! I am sure that he doesn't like me, it shows very plainly. One would think that I would stop goofing around because of his icy stare.....one would be very wrong. His wife puts her head down, not wanting to get involved. I stare back at him. He knows he won't actually say anything to me. The worst part of it? I know he won't say anything, too.

               He finally turns back to his wife, and whispers....freaks. I wonder, just who the freaks were this day? My family and a friend just having some fun, or his drug-addicted, totally obedient wife, and his three silent children? Oh, and by the way, when his youngest son said, "I love you, dad", he just rolled his eyes, and walked away from him.  Freaks, indeed!!

 

             Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: