Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A Tribute to Old Bikers

  I came into this world nearly 45 years ago. I came here with nothing, and, for the most part, I have maintained that part of my life. But, when I was young, I met a group of people, people who were "outside" the norm of society. Those people were called "BIKERS".

 You have read most of what has been written in this journal, I hope. You KNOW my association with Bikers by now. What you don't know is what I learned in my time with them. Yes, I learned some things that a "kid" should never know; Let's just say that I was more mature than most "kids".

   I saw the Northern Lights, on cold, clear nights. It was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen! Not bad for a country boy. I learned to work on cars, as a mechanic. That single talent kept food in my belly, as I was growing up.

  I also learned to work on Motorcycles....that bought me drink, and "party favors" a lot of times! Hey, old Bros, do you remember laying a capacitor on a bench, and telling a rookie to go get it for you? If fully charged, the rookie only needed to learn the lesson ONCE!

 I learned about "Brotherhood". And not ratting out your friends! To this very day, I refuse to rat someone out, even if I hate them; that speaks VOLUMES for the Bikers that I knew. I hate a freakin' RAT!! Or an ass-kisser. I learned how to do business, and NOT get stepped on. I guess if you spend most of your young life getting kicked, you grow up wanting to kick back; I learned THAT very well!

 I learned about trust, as in, you don't trust anyone you don't personally know...and then, you don't turn your back on them. I learned what is right, and what is wrong. What? You say you can't see HOW someone could learn right from wrong living with bikers? Let me show you....

 I was 15 years old, and had NOTHING. A bunch of BIKERS put together a Harley Sportster for me. No strings, no money. It was understood that it would revert to the club when I left. I could live with that. They asked nothing in return. I was told some time later that the look on my face was payment enough! I have watched these men round up toys every Christmas for little children, who had nothing. These men gave, and asked nothing in return, ever.

  Those Bikers taught me everything I know, and I am GLAD, no, PROUD to have been allowed to be with them. I was there through all the "Biker Gang Wars" in the 70's. Rough times, for sure. I was always told to not get in the scrapes, but I did it anyway. I learned even from these fights. I always wanted to see Bikers getting along, NOT fighting for "turf". It seems that now a days I may have finally gotten my wish!

  So, the next time you are on the road, and pass some "crusty old Biker" on a ratty looking bike, just remember, it COULD be one of my friends. If you insult them, you insult me; and that is a BAD THING.

   "RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, you sound a loy like my husband, course he is a little bit younger, but I don't think a whole lot have changed. We all know I love those "crusty old bikers" and I am glad I am able to share the road with them. Thank you

Anonymous said...

amen bro sounds like my life