Thursday, March 23, 2006

Look in Your Own Closet First

 So, there I was the other day, having what I thought was an "intelligent" conversation with a guy from 'up North'; Ney York to be precise. When all of a sudden, he says, "I really don't like the South, with it's history of slavery, and all". Oh, really? Well, let's just see about that.

 

          There were Northern states before there were any Southern States. Many of the people in the new "Congress of America" kept slaves. Even George Washington is reputed to have kept slaves. And need I even mention the name Thomas Jefferson? I think we ALL know that story. Hate the South? You better check your history, 'bubba'.

 

              And, here is a little nugget of truth for you. No one in my family EVER owned slaves! As a matter of fact, there is some evidence that people on my dad's side were "sharecroppers". That's where people work the land, and get the crops in, but get almost nothing in return for all their work. Oh, wait, there were also white people who were kept as slaves! This condition was not only forced upon peoples from the African Continent. If you were poor, and could be made to work, you were fair game.

 

             By the way, did I mention just how many  slave ships did their off-loading in New York? Yeah, seems they have a port, or something there....who woulda figured? Oh, wait, most people also say that a lot of the slaves were sold in St. Louis, Missouri. That is true, but the only way to get to St. Loius by boat is on the Mississippi River! That's right, the slaves had to be loaded onto boats up North, and brought South. A history of slavery, indeed!

 

         I like talking to stupid people. It just does something for me when I shut them up with pure facts. Facts that cannot be disputed. I love it when people have no idea what they are saying. I am not like a lot of people, just sit there and shake your head, and not disagree. If you are stupid, or ignorant of the facts, then I will certainly let you know! So, please, watch who you talk to, and how you talk to them. You just never know when you might be talking to someone who has actually read a book or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

                    Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm from the north as you know and my family owned slaves. As a matter of fact, Francis "Lady" Nichols (one of my relatives of Baltimore) was married to a decendant  of William and John Waller of Virginia who owned Kunta Kinte. It's in our family book in Annapolis Maryland and in the DAR Library in Washington DC. I crossed referenced with the book "Roots" and I'll be damed, there it was. The book mentions numerous slave owned by my family (Nichols).

Also, when the salves were freed, most of the slaves stayed with their bosses in the south because there was no place for them to go.

Way to go John!