Sunday, December 19, 2004

Deer Hunting (or the lack thereof)

  Deer hunting, the all-time favorite sport of MEN. If you happen to be one of the 'other' type of man, then just skip this writing, it could get too rough.

      I have been reading in my deer-mags that a lot of Northern, and some Eastern states are having trouble with deer populations actually STARVING!!! Too many deer around, no hunters. No way to control deer populations from growing un-controllably. What?!?! Deer starving??

      Suburbs, housing developments, mini-malls, they are all to blame. But the burden ultimately falls on the hunters---or, the 'so-called' MEN in these areas. What happened? Are some of you so damn "civilized" that you don't hunt to put meat on your family's table? I have certainly seen some of the wives from those areas complaining about the price of meat in the super-markets! Here you have FREE, FRESH MEAT just handed to you, and you refuse to kill it.

    Can any of you even SKIN a deer? Hell, one of my friends showed up this past Friday to have me cut up a whole deer for him(he trusts me). I couldn't get out to his truck fast enough, knives, and sharpening steel in both hands!! I had that deer carved up in no time! Hell, he even offered me half of it, but I declined, I know he has a family to feed.

    I have read that the local gov'ts have to bring in "snipers" at night to dispatch the deer in those places. At least THEY know what to do with the meat; they donate every bit of it to local foodbanks, rest homes, and orphanages. The snipers are just hunters, VERY GOOD HUNTERS, but hunters all the same.

    It is not expensive to start hunting, you only need a license, a firearm, and the BALLS to go out and KILL an animal! It's easy, really. All men have the instinct. If you are too squeamish to actually gut, skin, and butcher the animal, then take along someone who is willing to do so. Letting the animals slowly starve is just cruel. Don't believe me? Just tie your dog up outside, and feed him about four(4) pieces of dry food a day....won't be long before someone comes around to lock you up, yep, seems "cruelty to animals" is against the law. Imagine that!

      In the time it has taken me to type this message, somewhere around 15 to 20 deer were killed in my county alone...our deer never starve. No dogs were injured in the posting of this message.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK John, I don't know how to respond to this one. You know I love you and your writings very much, but.........I don't have the Bambi syndrome or anything, I just don't like the thought of taking a deer from it's family or even worse, eating it. I know it's a sissy girlie thing too.
I do respect your right and beliefs to do so, and I know that hunting controls the deer population(especially when we are building on their turf) so I won't comment anymore on this one OK?

Hugs, Mollie