Monday, April 2, 2007

Kids, They do Grow up...

  Last week, my oldest daughter went wild turkey hunting one morning before going to work. She went with her boss, and she had a blast. I taught her many years ago how to use various wild animal calls. She never paid any attention to what I was showing her, or at least it seemed that way...

 

               She is able to call male turkeys (called "gobblers") at will. She can use a slate call, a reed call, or a shaker call. She can even use an old wooden "box" call. Most hunters will tell you that the box call is one of the hardest to master. I know it was for me. Funny thing is, when she was just a little squirt, she favored the box call over anything else!

 

             I know, you want to know if she got a turkey...no, she didn't. She saw a large male, but didn't get a clean shot. She knows that no clean shot means NO SHOT AT ALL. I will never condone taking shots that only wound game animals. She goes by that rule as much as I do. Now for some of you, you may be thinking that hunting is a horrible thing to do.

 

                I can assure you that we don't hunt for "trophies". Any game animal killed here is used for food, and for anything else that can be used from the animal. Nothing is wasted here. So, what was the point of this short, but interesting, story? Just when you think your kids aren't paying any attention to you, believe me, some of what you are doing or teaching sinks into their heads. Which brings up an interesting idea; be VERY CAREFUL what you teach them. The wrong things could come back to bite you in the ass! Take care of each other, and I will be back with more!!

 

                            Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: