Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How Far We Have Come...

 A long time ago, forty seven years back, as a matter of fact, a small child was brought into this world. He came in kicking and screaming, I am sure, as most children do. His future looked to be in question. Born in a convent, his natural father nowhere to be found. Four other children would follow him from this woman.

 

            At 11:00 pm that night, this child came into the world. He was small for a baby, or so I have been told. His first few years of life were tough, but then he wasn't the only one to see hard times. You see, in the Ozark mountains in Missouri, life is always tough. Only the strong survive there. I know, I have lived there. I beat the mountains, and I left there.

 

            The child I speak of is me. Today is my birthday. It was me that came into this world kicking and screaming forty seven years ago, and I have not shut up since! Nor will I. Only death will silence my voice. And that doesn't look likely anytime soon. I could be wrong, I have been before. If I have learned anything in my years on this rock, it is to expect the "unexpected". For those of you who knew what today was and "hollered" at me, thank you. It means alot to me that someone actually acknowledges that I exist.

 

              I think that if I were silenced, and could not speak out, I would explode. I will always speak my mind. And, oh yeah, I am STILL SMOKE-FREE!!! That makes just over three years without a smoke. Yes, it is hard at times, but I just tell myself that I never want to go through quitting again. And, as an added bonus, my diabetes seems to have settled down some. I can finally get some consistant numbers on the blood-sugar tests.

 

                                    Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: