Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Oddities, at home, and Abroad

.......So, it was a quiet Tuesday evening, and my wife and I were out on the porch, watching our youngest daughter playing in the yard. She was in the "lower yard", by the bank that was built there a few years ago. A car pulls into the parking lot, around back where we are at. The car stops, and a young boy picks up what looks like a Coke bottle, and shakes it vigorously for a few seconds (it was in the car with them), then throws it out.

 

 I figure he just shook up a soda, and wants to see if the bottle will pop.....but something is wrong....when he shook the bottle. it sounded like a spray-paint can, with the ball rattling in the bottom!!  I yelled for my daughter, being the teenager she is, she chose to ignore me. I start running to where she is, and the bottle EXPLODED!!!!!!

 

 Not a little pop, but a loud bang! I see pieces of it scatter, and there was a bit of smoke coming from the debris. The bottle itself was thrown about 50 feet from where it was lying initially. I immediately called 911, and reported this.

 

   Some twenty minutes later, our TOWN PATROL CAR (the one here in town) shows up! Folks, we have one main street in my town. I can leave the Mayor's office, and walking, be here in four (4) minutes; and I have a bum knee!! The officer pulls up, tells me it is just some boys having fun, and says he will "fuss at them a little", if he finds them..........uh, ok.

 

  This officer never even got out of his car! He even drove past the evidence, and never bothered to look at it!!  I went back to my porch, and fumed! What if some other kid was back there, and had picked this thing up? This thing put off a very violent reaction. I decided if the police were not going to do anything about it, then I would.

 

    I took a pair of long tweezers, and a plastic bag, and picked up the pieces. I also took three (3) cotton swabs and soaked up some of the residue left on the pavement where this thing went off. I then called the local F.B.I. I was told to keep the evidence, and give it to the local authorities. I explained that the local authorities were here, and refused to even look at it.

 

    Funny thing happened next. I hung up with the F.B.I. guy, and the local cop shows up again...all of a sudden, he is interested in this little "chemical bomb"----VERY interested!! I guess someone called him??  This is the kind of police work we put up with everyday. Is it any wonder that everyone here has guns?  Around here, the best way to die is to depend on the police.

 

      Say "fingerprints", or "forensic evidence", and you only get stupid looks!  Let's see, kid in trouble, but dad, grandpa, uncle, whatever is on the board of Aldermen. Kid isn't in trouble anymore.  A few years ago two guys here in town were caught with BALES of maijuhauna (about 75 pounds each), it even made the papers! Some estimated the street worth at over a million dollars. No trial, no court date, and BOTH of the guys are still walking around, free as you please!!   I wonder how that works??

 

  And some of you wonder just WHY I get pissed off so much????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's about the truth of it.....sad really.

Good to read some of your writings again.