Monday, November 7, 2005

Words to Live By?

    It has been brought to my attention that our human language is woefully inadequate. Think of it this way; describe to me the difference between a lemon and a lime, then try to describe the difference in taste? we just don't have the words for such things.

               Try to explain love, hate, or any other human emotion. You simply  cannot do it. For someone to understand just what you are talking about, they MUST have experienced it themselves. Once you realize this, talking to someone takes on a new meaning. "Am I making my point understood to this person"?  "Am I using the right words"?  "Am I even sure that what I am saying makes any sense"?

                 Now, I can  "turn a phrase" with the best of them. I consider myself to be somewhat of a wordsmith. I know many 'big' words that hardly seem appropriate here. I know some, if not ALL, of the most base words that our language has to offer. Still, I could never describe love to someone who doesn't know it...the taste of salt...the smell of a summer rain in the middle of the day...what a small child smells like. You know it, that smell that all babies have.

              Try to describe just how a rose smells to someone sometime..."Words to Live By"? Which ones?  Questions, comments, abusive remarks?? You know where to find me!!

 

                              Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: