Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Time Out!!

 Finally, a little "me time". I am now in my fourth week of taking care of my grandchildren.  What have I learned in those four weeks? Read on, dear friend, read on.

 

   Yes, two small children CAN make more noise than an entire construction company putting up a fifty story building!! And they do so with frightening regularity. Never, under ANY circumstances, give a sixteen month old boy semi-heavy objects to play with in  the hopes that the weight will slow him down! It won't, and at that age, they have discovered just how to swing heavy objects at vital body parts,(head, below the belt, elbows, knees, you name it!).

 

  After several blows to the head from an old piston and conn rod assembly out of an old knucklehead, I finally realized that I could be in need of medical attention!! Loss of blood from head wounds is a BAD THING. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR HOME.......

 

      Imagine trying to put pants on an alligator blindfolded. That is how it is when the boy needs changing. And, so help me, he needs changing frequently! And, please, let us not forget about those "nasty" surprises in some of those diapers!! I swear, some of that shit is TOXIC!!  No wonder my mom hated us boys!!(that was a joke)

 

    When little Vinnie starts doing something he shouldn't, I say to him, "stop, Vinnie".  He just turns to me and laughs, as he continues to do what he shouldn't be doing. The kid must have solid steel balls!! Someone ten times bigger than you, and you just laugh at them.....I knew I liked that boy for a good reason!!

 

   His big sis? She is a little dream. Unless the little boy gets out of hand, then she says to me, "let ME handle this, pop-pop". She has a command of spanish that is beyond my comprehension. Just a few words from her, and he stops whatever he is doing. From that point on, little Rozie is in charge. I have never seen anything like it!

 

       This little boy will have to listen to many people throughout his lifetime, but there is only one who he will pay any attention to. That one is his big sis. All in all, I would have to say this is a fun thing to do, being with them everyday. They seem to enjoy corn dogs for breakfast, ice cream for lunch, and just "whatever" for dinner.

 

     Any problems? So far, none. Yes, the boy takes the occasional "header" into the floor from running, (even when I tell him to stop). Spank them? NEVER!! I never spanked my two daughters, why would I start now? Hell, I just give them old car parts, or motorcycle frames to play with if they get too rough!!

 

      They DO cut into my time in front of this thing, but that may be a good thing. My blood pressure has been up a little, but believe me, it sure ain't from stress! Hell, I spend most of the day laughing, and playing with them. I think this could not have come at a better time....................

No comments: