Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Scam Revealed

      A couple of years ago I needed a brace for my knee. Nothing too serious, just something to help ease the pain, and to give it a little support. I found a medical supply shop nearby, and purchased the needed item.

 

        Now, the price of this item was $25.00, not too bad, I thought. As I went to pay for the item, the lady at the counter(also the owner of the store) asked if I had medic-aid, or medicare. Since I am disabled, I have medicare. When she was informed of this, she saked for my card, and said it could be filed on medicare.

 

         Well, trying to save a buck or two, I gave her my card. Imagine my surprise when, about two months later, I recieved a letter from medicare stating that they had just paid OVER $100.00 for a knee brace that I purchased!!!! Now, WHY would they pay more than four times what the price originally was for said item?

 

          When I called the store, the owner stated that everything in the store was tagged with a number. When billing medicare, medicaid, insurance, or whatever, the price was regulated by the sticker on the item. I then informed the owner that what she was doing amounted to fraud, and that I would most certainly notify the medicare office.

 

         The owner then stated that since I was "such a nice guy", she would reduce the charges to the original $25.00. Nice guy indeed. I still contacted the medicare billing office. I recieved a letter later on stating that NOTHING would be done to resolve this situation, ie, charging the store owner with fraud. I couldn't believe it!

 

            I have since found out that this shit goes on all over the place! The places that sell medical products for home usage are constantly ripping off the medicare people, and insurance companies! It is rampant, and very common. These people think nothing of charging four, five, even up to ten times what something is worth! Hospitals are no better. My wife's brother spent a year in the hospital, and they were charging him seven dollars for a single Tylenol! It's ridculous! And the people who are getting ripped off don't even question it!

 

          This has to stop! Why do you think so many Americans can't afford insurance? It is directly because of this flat out FRAUD! Questions, comments, abusive remarks? You know where to find me!!!!

 

           Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: