Sunday, October 9, 2005

Of Horses and Men

   As most of you already know, I have a fondness for 'steel-horses'----motorcycles. I grew up with them, and, consequently, grew to love them. I also grew up with real horses...I never really liked them too much. They tend to be just like women---too unpredictable! Jumpy, too!

                 As further proof of this, we got a frantic call from our oldest daughter Friday night. She and her husband own two horses, both wild, and un-broken(first mistake). Seems her husband climbed onto the mare that they own, my daughter had just gotten off of her, "she was acting funny", she said to him(second mistake). He decides to tie down her lead rope to a post(last mistake), and then climb on her. This horse is wild, not even broke to a bridle, and they have a SADDLE on her. From what little I know about breaking horses, I know that you DO NOT just throw a saddle on a wild one, then climb on it! BIG MISTAKE!!!

              Well, the son-in-law is now in the hospital with a shattered leg, and the possibility that he could lose his foot. The doctors have already done two surgeries, and there will need to be more. When the horse threw him(was there ever any doubt as to this happening?), he went one way, and his leg another, plus, his foot got caught in the stirrup, and his weight caused him to twist, snapping BOTH bones in his lower leg, and almost completely disconnecting his foot from his leg. He is, I imagine, in terrible pain. It will be four months before he can even walk again, IF he doesn't lose the foot. Looks like I get the grandkids back for awhile.

              With my daughter going back to work, and her husband laid up, I guess I have to go back on "Grandpa Patrol" for a little while. See, steel horses are better. They only throw you when you act stupid, or get too stoned to be on them to start with. Thanks, but I think that I will just stick with the steel horse.....they are safer!!

 

Holla' If You Hear Me!!!

No comments: