Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Lesson

Today's post is more of a lesson. Something that happened to me in my mis-spent youth. The year was 1976. I was sixteen, and looking for a summer job. Nothing really jumped out at me, and my grandmother was helping to find me a job. She read in the paper that garbage men were needed.

Upon hearing this news, I scoffed. "Garbage man"? That was too far beneath me! I kept on looking. As I lived in a semi-rural area, jobs were hard to come by. Eventually I swalloed my pride, and interviewed for the garbage man position. To my dismay, I was hired on the spot!!!

As I got to know the guys on the trucks, and spent time on the job with them, I realized something; they were no different than myself! They were pepole just like me, they just worked a thankless job. These guys worked hard, and long hours for very little pay.

Well, as things go, I told my grandmother about my new feelings for the garbage men. She told me I had learned a lesson in humility. She told me to always remember that I am above no one! I may be someone's equal, but I am never better than another human being...we are all in the same boat here on Earth.

My grandmother has since passed on, but the lesson has stayed with me. I think all of us should work at least one summer on a garbage truck.........

2 comments:

garnett109 said...

My friend great post , I took alot of Thankless jobs on to pay child support and bills it seemed that everybody I worked with was in the same boat or needed money to keep their families going!
Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year Dude!

Liz in Virginia said...

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU AND YOURS!!